Ohio governor not in favor of removing Columbus statue
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says that while he’s not in favor of the removal of statues of Columbus, he’s open to discussions that arise about people’s place in history. DeWine said Thursday he’s not overly bothered by the removal of statues commemorating Confederate soldiers because his great-great-grandfather fought for the Union and was imprisoned in a Confederate prisoner of war camp. But DeWine also said that pulling every statute down because someone wasn’t perfect probably isn’t a good idea. Columbus State Community College has removed its statue of Columbus and Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther wants a City Hall statue to go.
DeWine tested for virus as daily cases see slight decrease
Ohio reported a slight decrease in daily coronavirus cases following a series of higher-than-average day-to-day increases. Last week, the number of cases started to uptick in what Gov. Mike DeWine identified as a “worrisome” rise in cases in five southwestern Ohio counties. The governor also loosened restrictions in the state so that every Ohioan is able to be tested for the coronavirus through a number of pop-up testing sites that will be opening. The state is also trying to make up for lack of health checkups for children after the coronavirus pandemic led to a significant decrease in pediatric vaccinations.
Pence to reveal electric truck at former GM plant in Ohio
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Republican Vice President Mike Pence heads to Ohio on Thursday for the unveiling of an all-electric pickup truck built by the startup that took over the General Motors assembly plant shuttered last year. Pence plans remarks after Lordstown Motors Corp.’s truck is revealed near Youngstown. He’ll then attend an event with law enforcement and community leaders. The state Democratic chairman called it a misguided “photo op,” while the area’s Democratic congressman called for an administration commitment to building a robust electric vehicle market in the Mahoning Valley. Republican Gov. Mike DeWine said he didn’t ask Pence to wear a mask.
AIRPORT-GUNS IN BAGS
TSA officers find 2 pistols at Columbus airport checkpoints
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Transportation Security Administration officers discovered two pistols in carry-on bags at John Glenn Columbus International Airport. One of the weapons was loaded and the other was not. The weapons were found during different security screenings on Tuesday. The TSA says police took possession of the bags and escorted the passengers out of the checkpoint area. The weapons bring to seven the number of firearms detected by TSA officers at the Columbus airport this year.
Governor pitches Ohio air base as Space Force headquarters
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine is promoting Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton as the location for the new Space Force. DeWine said Tuesday the base and the surrounding region would be “excellent hosts” for the U.S. Space Command headquarters. DeWine said the area is already home to the National Air and Space Intelligence Center, the Air Force Research Laboratory, and the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, among other centers. DeWine sent a letter promoting Wright-Patt to the assistant secretary of the Air Force, endorsing a nomination by the mayor Beavercreek in suburban Dayton.
Dad of abused 4-year-old girl who died to get $3M settlement
EUCLID, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio county will pay $3 million to the father of a 4-year-old Ohio girl who died from abuse by her mother and the mother’s boyfriend. Cleveland.com reports that the Cuyahoga County Council is due to vote on the settlement Tuesday. It would resolve allegations that county social workers and employees at private day care centers failed to protect Aniya Day-Garrett. The child died in March 2018 after suffering a stroke caused by a blow to the head. Aniya’s mother and her boyfriend were convicted of aggravated murder and sentenced to life in prison. Aniya’s father, Mickhal Garrett, filed his suit in April 2019.
Series of shootings in Columbus leave 2 dead, 5 wounded
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A series of shootings in Ohio’s capital city has left two men dead and five other people wounded, including a 13-year-old boy. It did not appear that any of the three shootings in Columbus on Monday night were linked, although authorities said they all remained under investigation. The first shooting left one man dead, while another man was killed in another shooting that also left four other men wounded. The third shooting involved a 13-year-old boy who was riding his bike to a convenience store when he heard gunshots behind him. He suffered a leg wound while he was in the store’s parking lot.
RACIAL INJUSTICE-THE LATEST
The Latest: 12 arrested in protest at Virginia capital
Twelve people in Virginia’s state capital were arrested and charged with participating in an unlawful assembly after police said they refused orders to disperse from in front of Richmond City Hall. The police department said in a statement the protesters used vehicles to block off the street and threw rocks and other objects at the officers. Police used tear gas, pepper spray and flash bangs to disperse the crowd, but the department did not address that in its statement. The protest formed after state officials announced that the grounds around a monument to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee would be closed every night.
SCHOTT NAME REMOVED
U of Cincinnati removing Marge Schott’s name from stadium
CINCINNATI (AP) — The University of Cincinnati is removing Marge Schott’s name from its baseball stadium and a library archive in light of her racist comments while owner of the Cincinnati Reds. The school’s board of trustees unanimously approved the move Tuesday. It comes 12 days after a Catholic high school also decided to remove references to Schott from its facilities. Schott’s history of racist and other offensive comments has prompted local organizations to reconsider using her name on facilities funded through her philanthropic foundation. The foundation is encouraging the discussions and decisions.
DEAD ZONE TASK FORCE
‘Dead zone’ task force states getting $840,000 from EPA
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The federal government is giving $840,000 to the 12 states in a task force created to find ways to reduce the size of the oxygen-starved “dead zone” that forms every year off Louisiana and spreads into Texas waters. Although the Gulf of Mexico Hypoxia Task Force was created in fall 1997, the area where there’s too little oxygen to sustain marine life has remained about the same. Hurricane Barry reduced last year’s hypoxic zone, but it was still the eighth-largest on record. The record was set in 2017. The major cause is pollution from farm and urban runoff.